What is Zycortal Suspension for Dogs?
- Zycortal is a prescription injectable corticosteroid that helps replace your dog's deficient mineralcorticoids.
- Your dog’s adrenal gland helps regulate many key levels in the body including potassium, sodium, and electrolytes.
- When the adrenal gland stops producing the steroid your dog needs to manage those levels effectively, your dog can develop hypoadrenocorticism, commonly called Canine Addison’s Disease.
- Zycortal, containing the hormone replacement Desoxycorticosterone Pivalate, replaces some of the missing stress hormones your dog needs.
Why do dogs use Zycortal?
- If your dog has Addison’s Disease, or hypoadrenocorticism, your veterinarian may prescribe Zycortal.
What else should I know about Zycortal?
- Treats Addison’s Disease in dogs and cats.
- Discard vial within 120 days after first puncture.
- For dosing, needles and syringes without needle (to use with any needle) are sold separately. Consult your veterinarian for the appropriate sizes.
- Looking for Percorten-V? Percorten-V and Zycortal Suspension have the same active ingredient desoxycorticosterone pivalate, but are not interchangeable drugs.
What problems could my dog have with Zycortal?
- Contact your veterinarian immediately if you notice greater thirst or need to urinate, swelling of the limbs, weakness, lack of energy, shaking, collapse, loss of appetite, weight loss, vomiting, or diarrhea.
How do you use Zycortal?
- Shake well before use.
- Zycortal is given under the skin (subcutaneously) or into the muscle (intramuscularly) every 20 to 30 days. Follow your veterinarian's directions.
What is in Zycortal?
- The drug in Zycortal is Desoxycorticosterone Pivalate (DOCP).
- DOCP is a mineralocorticoid hormone replacement.
Will I get what I see in the picture?
- Zycortal is a brand name. You will receive the exact brand that you request.
Is it important for my dog or cat to finish all of the Zycortal?
- Dogs may use Zycortal for different lengths of time. Please consult your veterinarian if you have any questions.
Who makes Zycortal?
Zycortal is made by the manufacturer Dechra.
Zycortal SuspensionFrom North HollywoodComments about Zycortal Suspension
YesFrom UndisclosedComments about Zycortal Suspension 25 mg/ml, 4mL Vial
Will buy this from you as long as Dusty needs itFrom UndisclosedComments about Zycortal Suspension
Great priceFrom UndisclosedComments about Zycortal Suspension
MagicFrom UndisclosedComments about Zycortal Suspension
Q & A
What exactly do you mean when you say Zycortal and Percortin are not interchangeable? My dog was started on Zycortal for past 3 months. Now my vet will take over her care and he only carries Percortin.?
Zycortal and Percorten-V contain the same active ingredient, Desoxycorticosterone pivalate, but contain different inactive ingredients including the preservative. Also, Percorten-V is labeled for intramuscular injection and Zycortal is labeled for subcutaneous injection. Speak to your veterinarian about which version of Desoxycorticosterone pivalate would be recommended for your pet.Verified Answer
how many doses for a 70 pound dog are in this vial??
The manufacturer recommended dosing for Zycortal Suspension is for an initial dose of 2.2mg/kg of body weight. This would translate to an initial dose of 70 mg for your 70 pound dog. Your vet may recommend a different starting dose based on knowledge of your dog and situation. The dosing after the initial dose is dependent on your dog’s Sodium and Potassium levels, which means the dose may increase or decrease over time. It is not possible to say how many doses you will get from one vial due to the changing dose. For reference, each 4 mL vial contains 100 mg of drug. Consult your veterinarian regarding dosing instructions specific to your dog.Verified Answer
Is Zycortal the generic brand for Percorten-V??
Desoxycorticosterone pivalate is the generic name of Zycortal. Percorten-V is a different brand containing the same generic medication, desoxycorticosterone pivalate. These 2 medications contain the same active ingredient.Verified Answer
Is dosage 1:1 with respect to Percorten-V??
Both of these medications contain the same active ingredient, desoxycorticosterone pivalate, and come in the same strength - 25 milligrams per milliliter. They contain slightly different inactive ingredients. Your veterinarian will be able to provide you with a prescription and instructions on how to best inject this medication. Thank you, VetRxDirectVerified Answer