What are Fluoxetine Capsules for Dogs and Cats?
- Fluoxetine is a prescription behavior modifying medication used in dogs and cats to treat several behavioral disorders including aggression in dogs and anxiety.
- Fluoxetine is the generic drug name for Prozac.
Why do cats and dogs use Fluoxetine?
- Fluoxetine may be prescribed to treat a variety of behavior disorders, such as agression, obsessive-compulsive behavior, or anxiety.
- Fluoxetine may also help against inappropriate elimination in cats.
What else should I know about Fluoxetine?
- Fluoxetine is most effective when used in conjunction with behavior programs.
- It may be several weeks before it can be determined if Fluoxetine is effective.
- Splitting or opening capsules is not recommended.
- Looking for Fluoxetine Tablets?
- Looking for Liquid Fluoxetine or Fluoxetine Transdermal Gel?
- Looking for Reconcile (fluoxetine) Chewable Tablets?
What problems could my dog or cat have with Fluoxetine?
- Common side effects include sleepiness and reduced appetite.
- Rare, but serious, side effects include seizures and aggression. Contact your veterinarian immediately if you notice these signs.
- Overdoses can be serious. Keep Fluoxetine out of the reach of children and other animals.
- Do not use flea collars while you are giving Fluoxetinewithout consulting with your veterinarian.
- This medication should not be used in dogs with a history of epilepsy or seizures.
- Fluoxetine should be used with caution in pets that have diabetes as it may alter the blood sugar levels.
How do you use Fluoxetine?
- Fluoxetine may be given with or without food. Follow your veterinarian's directions.
- Do not stop giving Fluoxetine without consulting with your pet's veterinarian as serious side effects may result.
What is in Fluoxetine?
- Fluoxetine is a behavior modifying drug.
- It is a selective seratonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) that works to increase the levels of seratonin in the brain.
Will I get what I see in the picture?
- Fluoxetine is sold as an FDA approved generic drug. Brand may vary from order to order and variation to variation. We are unable to guarantee which brand will be available at the time of order shipment.
Is it important for my dog or cat to finish all of the Fluoxetine?
- Dogs and cats may use Fluoxetine for different lengths of time. Please consult your veterinarian if you have any questions.
Fluoxetine really helps my pet's mental state!From UndisclosedComments about Fluoxetine (Generic) 10mg Capsule
Excellent service. Waiting to see if drug helpsFrom UndisclosedComments about Fluoxetine (Generic) 10mg Capsule
This medication is working great for my dogFrom UndisclosedComments about Fluoxetine (Generic) 10mg Capsule
Coordinated, comprehensive, and caringFrom UndisclosedComments about Fluoxetine (Generic) 20mg Capsule
Great for separation anxiety!From UndisclosedComments about Fluoxetine (Generic) 20mg Capsule
Alfie is the one in the lower right hand corner.From UndisclosedComments about Fluoxetine (Generic) 20mg Capsule
My cat is a real jerk without his pillsFrom UndisclosedComments about Fluoxetine (Generic) 10mg Capsule
Really calmed my Daisy down.From Salina, OKComments about Fluoxetine (Generic) 20mg Capsule
DON'T BE AFRAID OF PROZAC FOR A DOG WITH HORRIFIC MEMORIFrom UndisclosedComments about Fluoxetine (Generic) 10mg Capsule
We never run out of this medicationFrom UndisclosedComments about Fluoxetine (Generic)
Q & A
Can the powder from the capsules be safely administered by emptying it into food, or should the pill be given fully intact??
The capsules may be safely split open and the powder contents emptied and mixed into food. It is important to monitor your pet and ensure they eat all of the food so that they receive the entire dose of the medication. While this could be an alternative to administering the medication to your pet, Fluoxetine powder can have a bitter taste, and may not be fully masked by food. Please consult with your veterinarian before using this technique as they may be able to offer tips or an alternative dosage form.Verified Answer
What size are the 10mg capsules? Are they a #3??
What should dosage be per pound of dog??
Generally the usual dose for a dog is 1-2 mg/kg by mouth once daily; however, dosing of fluoxetine should be determined by your dog's veterinarian and should be used in conjunction with a comprehensive behavior modification protocol.Verified Answer
What is the difference between the Fluoxetine Capsule and Tablet, because the tablets seem to be way more expensive. Thanks.?
The fluoxetine capsule and tablet dosage forms both contain the same active ingredient, fluoxetine hydrochloride. Pricing on the dosage forms can vary for a variety of reasons such as: manufacturing process, market exclusivity of dosage form, dosage form ingredient cost, etc.) If your pet is needing the commercially-available dose it would be cost effective to get the capsule dosage form. If your pet is needing a partial dose of the commercially-available medicine, such as half the dose, the tablet dosage form would be preferred due to the ability of splitting the dosage form.Verified Answer