What is Synotic Otic Solution for Dogs and Cats?
- Synotic is a prescription medication for dogs or cats that helps relieve itching and inflammation caused by ear problems.
- Synotic contains fluocinolone acetonide and dimethyl sulfoxide, or DMSO.
- Fluocinolone is a steroid and DMSO helps the steroid get into the ear and skin.
Why is Synotic used for cats and dogs?
- If your dog or cat has red, itchy ears caused by ear problems, your veterinarian may prescribe a solution such as Synotic.
- Synotic has a steroid to treat swelling and reduce redness and itching.
What else should I know about Synotic?
- Synotic may cause garlic or oyster-smelling bad breath that should go away when the Synotic is stopped.
What problems could my dog or cat have with Synotic?
- Do not allow the suspension to get into your pet's eyes.
- Do not use in dogs or cats with damaged ear drums.
- Do not use with pregnant animals.
- Your pet may experience some redness, warmth, or discomfort at the application site.
- Contact your veterinarian immediately if you notice the infection is not healing or is getting worse.
- Contact your veterinarian immediately if you notice loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, sudden hearing loss, increasingly worse ear pain, head tilt, walking in circles, mouth sores, increased thirst, frequent urination, or worsening skin and hair issues at the application site.
How do you use Synotic?
- Synotic is typically used for 14 days.
- Allow the Synotic to dry completely before administering any other ear medications.
- Prevent your dog or cat and other animals from licking or grooming the treated ears for at least 20 to 30 minutes after application.
- Wear gloves or wash your hands immediately after handling the medication.
What is in Synotic?
- Synotic combines two drugs.
- It contains the steroid fluocinolone acetonide and dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) to increase the absorption of the steroid.
Will I get what I see in the picture?
- Synotic is a brand name. You will receive the exact brand that you request.
Is it important for my dog or cat to finish all of the Synotic?
- Dogs and cats may use Synotic for differenct lengths of time. Please consult your veterinarian if you have any questions.
Who makes Synotic?
- Synotic is made by the manufacturer Zoetis.
GSD ear-saverFrom UndisclosedComments about Synotic Otic Solution
I will continue to purchase.From undisclosedComments about Synotic Otic Solution
Good serviceFrom caComments about Synotic Otic Solution
Not just for dogs, but cats too!From Boston, MAComments about Synotic Otic Solution
Made my dogs life easierFrom Phoenix, AZComments about Synotic Otic Solution
Wroks Well!From Orange County, CA, USAComments about Synotic Otic Solution
Synotic Otic Solution for maintenance of earFrom Swannanoa, NCComments about Synotic Otic Solution
Q & A
Can this be used as an alternative instead of TECA? I am really struggling right now snd can not afford TECA for my Yorkie. I just don't want her to be in pain. If yes I will definitely try to get her vet to write her a prescription.?
Synotic is a prescription ear solution indicated to relieve itching and inflammation associated with acute and chronic ear infections in dogs. Synotic contains fluocinolone, a type of corticosteroid and dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO), a compound that enhances the absorption of the steroid through the skin. Synotic is applied topically to the ear and is not intended to replace other treatments for ear infections. TECA or Total Ear Canal Ablation and Bulla Ostecotomy is a surgery that involves the complete removal of the ear canal and middle ear. This procedure is typically recommended only in cases of chronic ear infections. Your veterinarian is the best source of information regarding your dog’s health and can recommend which treatments or medications may be offered as alternatives to this procedure. Please consult with your veterinarian to determine if this medication is appropriate for your dog’s needs.Verified Answer
Is this synotic the purple colored one??
The Synotic solution is clear/white colored liquid that is currently packaged in a white bottle. The Baytril Otic and Cameo Otic both have purple colored product packaging. Please contact our pharmacy if you have any questions.Verified Answer
Greetings, I have a prescription for Synotic otic with the following directions: Place 1-3 drops in right ear and on right foot three times daily. The prescription has two refills. 1. How many bottles are needed to fill this order? 2. Is there a product that is comparable and less expensive??
The Synotic otic solution comes in 8 mL and 60 mL bottle sizes. According to the directions posted, the maximum amount of drops used a day is 18. As there are about 20 drops in each mL, these sizes should supply about an 8-9 day and 60-66 day supply respectively for your prescription. Product options and selection should be discussed with your veterinarian.Verified Answer
Can I order the product without a vet's prescription??
No, unfortunately this is a prescription item that requires a prescription from a veterinarian. Thank you, VetRxDirectVerified Answer
Can I use synotic on female guinea pig, with missing patches of hair--all over-- to rid of mites (not visible) under skin. thnx.?
Synotic is an ear medication indicated for the treatment of itching and inflammation found in dogs’ ear(s). The drug’s package insert states that in the drug’s initial testing, Synotic was shown to be disruptive to the development of the embryo or fetus in guinea pigs. Our drug references do not provide dosing recommendations for off label use in guinea pigs. We recommend contacting your veterinarian to determine the best course of therapy for your pet. Thank you, VetRxDirectCommunity Answer