What are Sulfasalazine Tablets for Dogs and Cats?
- Sulfasalazine is a prescription antibiotic used to treat inflammatory bowel disease in dogs and cats because it also has immunosuppressant properties.
- This medicine works inside the bowel by helping to reduce inflammation and other symptoms of inflammatory bowel disease.
Why do cats and dogs use Sulfasalazine?
- Sulfasalazine may be prescribed to treat inflammatory bowel disease in dogs and cats.
- It may also be prescribed to treat vasculitis in dogs.
What problems could my dog or cat have with Sulfasalazine?
- Cats may be sensitive to the aspirin-like qualities of Sulfasalazine and haver serious reactions such as anemia. Contact your veterinarian immediately if you notice any new or worrying symptoms in your cat.
- Certain breeds of dogs may develop the serious side effect of dry eye syndrome, or keratoconjunctivitis sicca (KCS). Signs of dry eye include redness, discharge from the eye, or increased blinking. Your veterinarian may test your dog's tear production. Contact your veterinarian if you see any of these signs.
How do you use Sulfasalazine?
- Sulfasalazine should be given with food. Follow your veterinarian's directions.
- People who are allergic to sulfa drugs should handle Sulfasalazine with caution.
What is in Sulfasalazine?
- The drug Sulfasalazine is a sulfonamide-salicylate antibiotic and an immunosuppressive agent.
Will I get what I see in the picture?
- Sulfasalazine is sold as an FDA approved generic drug. Brand may vary from order to order and variation to variation. We are unable to guarantee which brand will be available at the time of order shipment.
Is it important for my dog or cat to finish all of the Sulfasalazine?
- Sulfasalazine is an antibiotic. Resistance is a major concern when using antibiotics. To help avoid resistance, it is important for you to use this for as long as your veterinarian has prescribed, even if you dog or cat is looking and feeling better.
Helps with Inflamed Bowel Issues in Senior CatFrom UndisclosedComments about Sulfasalazine (Generic) 500mg Tablet
Q & A
Is 500 mg the right dosage for a 40 lb. dog?
Sulfasalazine is a prescription medication used to treat inflammatory bowel disease in dogs and cats. Sulfasalazine has also been suggested as an adjunct when treating vasculitis in dogs. Dosing may vary depending on the type and severity of the disease in your dog . Please consult with your veterinarian to determine the appropriate dose and directions for use for sulfasalazine for your dog.Verified Answer