What are Potassium Citrate Extended Release Tablets for Dogs and Cats?
- Potassium Citrate is often prescribed to increase urine pH in dogs and cats to prevent and reduce urinary stones.
- High levels of uric acid or calcium in the urine can form crystals or stones in the kidneys or bladder, which can be a painful condition.
- As these stones move through pet’s system they can cause pain, nausea, and other side effects.
- Potassium citrate is also used to supplement low potassium levels to treat hypokalemia and reduce elevated levels of acid in the body to treat metabolic acidosis.
- Bladder stones are common in dogs and cats that have recurrent urinary tract infections.
- Potassium Citrate is a prescription medication that helps reduce the formation of bladder stones and support a healthy urinary system.
- Extended release tablets are designed to absorb slowly so that fewer doses have to be given.
Why do cats and dogs use Potassium Citrate?
- If your pet is prone to urinary stones or other conditions, your veterinarian may prescribe a medication like Potassium citrate.
- When the pH in your pet’s urine becomes imbalanced, it can cause crystals to form which leads to bladder stones.
- Diet issues, dehydration, and even certain breed types can increase the chances your dog or cat may suffer from this painful condition.
- Potassium Citrate is proven to increase the pH in urine and help reduce the formation of painful bladder stones.
- Given as directed, prescription Potassium Citrate can also help support a healthy urinary tract over time.
What else should I know about Potassium Citrate?
- Reduces formation of bladder stones.
- Supports overall urinary health in cats and dogs.
- Extended release tablets allow for less frequent dosing.
What problems could my dog or cat have with Potassium Citrate?
- Your veterinarian will need to monitor your dog or cat regularly while they are taking Potassium Citrate. Make sure not to miss follow-up appointments.
How do you use Potassium Citrate?
- Potassium Citrate may be given with food or mixed into food. Follow your veterinarian's directions.
What is in Potassium Citrate?
- The active ingredient in Potassium Citrate is the drug Potassium Citrate, which makes the urine more alkaline.
Will I get what I see in the picture?
- Potassium Citrate is sold as an FDA approved generic drug. Brand may vary from order to order and variation to variation. We are unable to guarantee which brand will be available at the time of order shipment.
Is it important for my dog or cat to finish all of the Potassium Citrate?
- Dogs and cats may use Potassium Citrate for different lengths of time. Please consult your veterinarian if you have any questions.
No Reviews Yet
Q & A
Can you cut the 10mEq(1080mg) tablet in half so the dog is getting 540mg? Thanks?
According to the package insert, broken or crushed tablets should not be consumed.Verified Answer
Can humans who need 10 mEq of potasium take this?
Potassium Citrate is a human-labeled prescription medication that may be prescribed for extra-label use by a veterinarian to treat urinary conditions in dogs and cats. As a pet pharmacy, VetRxDirect only dispenses this medication with a veterinarian’s prescription for use in animals.Verified Answer
Is this medication manufactured by Zydus laboratories like shown on in the image??
The manufacturer of the product is subject to change based on our current inventory.Verified Answer