Starting At $16.42
Usually ships the same weekday before 3pm CT with veterinary approval.
Requires veterinary authorization.
Your pet's veterinarian will provide directions for use.
What is Mometavet Otic Suspension for Dogs and Cats?
- Mometavet is a prescription ear medication for dogs or cats that treats otitis externa, outer ear infection, caused by yeast and bacteria.
- Mometavet contains gentamicin, mometasone, and clotrimazole - an antibiotoc, an anti-inflammatory steroid, and an antifungal.
- Mometavet works by killing infection causing bacteria and yeast in the ear and reducing the swelling and redness often associated with ear infections.
- Mometavet may also be used to treat superficial skin infections.
Why is Mometavet used for cats and dogs?
- If your dog or cat has been diagnosed with otitis externa or an ear infection, your veterinarian may prescribe a suspension such as Mometavet.
- Mometavet kills the yeast and bacteria causing the infection and has a steroid to treat swelling and redness.
What else should I know about Mometavet?
- Mometavet should be used with caution in toy breeds. Always follow your veterinarian's recommendations.
What problems could my dog or cat have with Mometavet?
- Do not allow the suspension to get into your pet's eyes.
- Do not use in dogs with damaged ear drums.
- Your pet may experience some redness or discomfort at the application site.
- Contact your veterinarian immediately if you notice the infection is not healing or is getting worse.
- Contact your veterinarian immediately if you notice loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, sudden hearing loss, increasingly worse ear pain, head tilt, walking in circles, mouth sores, increased thirst, frequent urination, or worsening skin and hair issues at the application site.
How do you use Mometavet?
- Shake well before use.
- Prevent your dog or cat and other animals from licking or grooming the treated ears for at least 20 to 30 minutes after application.
- Wear gloves or wash your hands immediately after handling the medication.
What is in Mometavet?
- Mometavet combines three drugs.
- It contains the antibiotic gentamicin, the antifungal clotrimazole, and the steroid mometasone furoate.
Will I get what I see in the picture?
- Mometavet is a brand name. You will receive the exact brand that you request.
Is it important for my dog or cat to finish all of the Mometavet?
- Mometavet contains an antibiotic and an antifungal. Resistance is a major concern when using antibiotics and antifungals. To help avoid resistance, it is important for you to use this for as long as your veterinarian has prescribed, even if you dog or cat is looking and feeling better.
Who makes Mometavet?
- Mometavet is made by the manufacturer Phoenix.
12 total reviews
Rated 2.67 out of 5 stars
0% of respondents would recommend this to a friend
5 5 star reviews
0 4 star reviews
0 3 star reviews
0 2 star reviews
7 1 star reviews
Most Liked Positive Review
Mometavet for ear infections!
This product cured my dog's ear infection quickly! My beagle is prone to ear infections so I've tried many over the counter medications as well as preventatives and nothing seemed to work except this medicine. Now floppy her ears are healthy and happy!!
Most Liked Negative Review
Dog now deaf
Dog was perfectly healthy but had a yeast infection on outer ear and had excellent hearing after 2 days now she can't hear.. wouldn't recommend this to anyone. Read the internet lots of complaints of deafness.
Medication helped my pets.From UndisclosedComments about Mometavet 15g BottleThis was prescribed by the vet & helped my pets with their ear infections.
This Medication should be outlawed.From Los Angeles, CAComments about MometavetUsed product for 7 days- my dog couldn't hear at all after. Hearing never came back, its been 2 years. She had used other tri-otic ointments over the years with no issue. I've asked a few vets and this seems pretty common. Why allow it to be used any longer? There are superior products. Avoid gentamicin which is the active ingredient.
Dog Lost HearingFrom Fremont OHComments about MometavetThe vet prescribed this to my older cocker for an ear infection. Used 3 days and noticed he could not hear anything. I was unaware this was a sde effect. He had perfect hearing and now is deaf. Do not use this!! I wish the vet would have warned me.
Mometavet for ear infections!From UndisclosedComments about Mometavet 7.5g BottleThis product cured my dog's ear infection quickly! My beagle is prone to ear infections so I've tried many over the counter medications as well as preventatives and nothing seemed to work except this medicine. Now floppy her ears are healthy and happy!!
DON'T USE, dog Is now deaf!From OklahomaComments about MometavetVet prescribed this for our 7 year old Lab for ear infection. After only a couple of days use she lost ALL her hearing. I am devastated!!!!! She is a hunting dog and now can not do what she loves. So upset with vet for not telling us this could be a side effect.
I would use this, your dog may lose its hearing permanentlyFrom Madison, msComments about MometavetVet prescribed this medicine for minor ear infection/redness. Would have never used it if I had known it could cause deafness. After the second dose noticed my dog couldn't hear. Quit using and hope the hearing comes back but it is totally gone now.
Made my jack russell deafFrom Hayward, CAComments about MometavetMy vet prescribed these drops for my senior jack russell. I applied one dose and now he is deaf in that ear.
I will buy this product forever - works wonders !!From UndisclosedComments about MometavetOne of my pities has a chronic ear infection in only one ear. After this medication was recommended it cleared it up in about 3 days. I continue to use it weekly just as a precaution - Love this product and she will use it for the rest of her life...
Hearing Loss!From CAComments about MometavetAfter 6 days, I noticed my dog, who has excellent hearing, wasn't reacting to sounds like normal. She didn't even react to the doorbell. Stopped immediately and hearing seemed to improve.
Priced rightFrom UndisclosedComments about MometavetGood price
Displaying Reviews 1 - 10
Q & A
I recently went to a vet because my cat has problems with her ears. They gave me mometavet but the lable said for dogs only? Is this something I should be giving my cat??
The manufacturer will often state “for dogs only” on the label because Mometavet was approved by the FDA for use in dogs. However, it is commonly used by veterinarians in an “off-label” or “extra-label” manner in cats as well.Verified Answer
Have any of the dogs that have lost their hearing regained their hearing??
According to the manufacturer’s package insert, the use of Mometavet has been associated with deafness or partial hearing loss in a small number of sensitive dogs (e.g, geriatric). The hearing deficit is usually temporary. Please consult with your veterinarian with any further questions or concerns regarding the use of this medication and your dog.Verified Answer
Can the use of Mometavet in an older dog (10Yrs) have a side effect of deafness??
Although rare, Mometavet has been associated with hearing impairment after administration. It is recommended that the medication be discontinued if hearing loss is observed and the veterinarian be alerted as soon as possible for further treatment steps.Verified Answer
Why do the drops hurt a dog as you put them in their ear? both my dogs cry when the drops go in ... on day 4 of the 7?
Mometavet is a prescription antibiotic/antifungal/corticosteroid used to treat ear infections in dogs. Ear infections may be painful. The drops entering their ears may be an uncomfortable feeling for the dogs as well. Please contact your veterinarian to ensure your concerns are appropriately addressed.Verified Answer
How to use on infected dogs ear?
Mometavet is a prescription solution used to manage and treat ear infections in dogs. To properly administer the medication, you should first clean and dry the affected ear(s). Shake the bottle well before giving the drops. Then give the drops directly into the ear canal as directed by your veterinarian. Please consult your veterinarian regarding any further questions or concerns regarding this medication.Verified Answer
the description says for dogs. is there a specific product for cats??
Mometavet is a prescription only product used to help with ear infections in dogs. To find an appropriate product to treat an ear infection in your cat, please contact your veterinarian.Verified Answer
Do you need a prescription??
Yes. Mometavet is a prescription drug requiring authorization by the pet's veterinarian.Verified Answer
Displaying Questions 1 - 7