What are Finasteride (Generic) Tablets for Dogs?
- Finsasteride is a prescription medication that may be used to treat benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH), or enlarged prostate, in dogs.
- Finasteride may also be prescribed by a veterinarian to treat ferrets with adrenal disease.
Why is Finasteride used for dogs?
- Finasteride inhibits an enzyme responsible for breaking down testosterone in the prostate, liver, and skin to a component that is the primary hormone responsible for the development of the prostate.
- An alternative treatment may be castration.
What else should I know about Finasteride?
- It may take up to 8 weeks to determine whether the finasteride is having the desired effect. Do not skip doses.
- Finasteride should not be given to female animals or sexually developing male animals.
What problems could my dog have with Finasteride?
- Finasteride may cause gastrointestinal effects such as reduced appetite, vomiting, or diarrhea.
How do you use Finasteride?
- Finasteride may be given with or without food. Follow your veterinarian's advice.
- Wear gloves when handling Finasteride.
- Pregnant women and women who may become pregnant should not handle Finasteride or should handle it with extreme caution.
What is in Finasteride?
- Finasteride is an agent to treat the enlargement of the prostate that works by inhibiting an enzyme that breaks down testosterone in the prostate.
Will I get what I see in the picture?
- Finasteride is sold as an FDA approved generic drug. Brand may vary from order to order and variation to variation. We are unable to guarantee which brand will be available at the time of order shipment.
Is it important for my dog to finish all of the Finasteride?
- Dogs may use Finasteride for different lengths of time. Please consult your veterinarian if you have any questions.