What are Doxepin Capsules for Cats and Dogs?
- Doxepin is a prescription antihistamine and antidepressant drug in the class of tricyclic antidepressants.
- Doxepin is a generic for Sinequan.
Why do cats and dogs use Doxepin?
- Doxepin is prescribed for allergies.
- It is also prescribed for skin conditions related to anxiety or nervousness in dogs.
What else should I know about Doxepin?
- When used as an antihistamine, Doxepin should be given regularly as it works best if use before exposure to the allergens.
- When used for behavior modification, it may take several days or weeks to determine if Doxepin is effective.
- Be sure your dog or cat has access to plenty of fresh water while taking Doxepin.
- Doxepin may be given with other antihistamines.
What problems could my dog or cat have with Doxepin?
- The most common side effects of Doxepin are sleepiness, dry mouth, and constipation.
- If you notice any abnormal bleeding, lack of appetite, seizures, collapse, or profound sleepiness while giving Doxepin, call your veterinarian immediately.
- Overdoses of Doxepin can be serious. Keep Doxepin out of reach of children and animals.
- Do not use a flea collar on your dog or cat while using Doxepin without talking to your veterinarian first.
How do you use Doxepin?
- Doxepein may be given with or without food. Follow your veterinarian's instructions.
What is in Doxepin?
- Doxepin is a tricylclic antidepressant with some antihistamine effects.
- Allergies cause histamine release, which causes itchy skin. Doxepin blocks histamine's effects.
Will I get what I see in the picture?
- Doxepin is sold as an FDA approved generic drug. Brand may vary from order to order and variation to variation. We are unable to guarantee which brand will be available at the time of order shipment.
Is it important for my dog or cat to finish all of the Doxepin?
- Dogs and cats may use Doxepin for different lengths of time. Please consult your veterinarian if you have any questions.
No Reviews Yet
Q & A
Is this the same formula that is given to humans? Does it require a prescription from the vet??
Doxepin is a human labeled medication prescribed by veterinarians because there is currently no vet labeled doxepin. This medication requires a prescription.Verified Answer
Hi, can a dog be given frontline for fleas/ticks while taking doxepin? up to how many milligrams is the recommended dose to help with laryngeal paralysis? Thank you for your help.?
According to Plumb's Veterinary Drug Book, Doxepin does not have any listed interactions with topical flea and tick medications. Doxepin is a human antidepressant drug prescribed to treat certain behavioral disorders in dogs and cats, and is not for the treatment of laryngeal paralysis.Verified Answer
How many mg's of doxepin for my dog with lar par who weighs 76 lbs?Community Answer