What is Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12) Injection for Cats and Dogs?
- Cyanocobalamin is a man-made form of Vitamin B12.
- Vitamin B12 is an essential vitamin that plays an important role in cell reproduction, blood formation, metabolism of fat and carbohydrates, and protein synthesis.
- Vitamin B12 is not made by the body and is provided either by diet or supplementation.
- This prescription form of Cyanocobalamin has 1000 mcg/mL.
Why do cats and dogs use Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12) Injection?
- Veterinarians may prescribe vitamin B12 injections to animals with a deficiency, or for certain illness or disease like anemia.
What else should I know about Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12) Injection?
- For dosing, needles and syringes without needle (to use with any needle) are sold separately. Consult your veterinarian for the appropriate sizes.
- It may take several weks of treatment to notice improvement of condition.
- Store the injection protected from light.
What problems could my dog or cat have with Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12) Injection?
- Injections may sting.
- Other side effects are very rare.
How do you use Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12) Injection?
- Cyanocobalamin injections should be given intramuscularly, in the muscle, or subcutaneously, under the skin, as directed by your veterinarian.
What is in Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12) Injection?
- Cyanocobalamin is a man-made form of Vitamin B12. Vitamin B12 is an essential vitamin that plays an important role in cell reproduction, blood formation, metabolism of fat and carbohydrates, and protein synthesis.
Will I get what I see in the picture?
- Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12) Injection is sold as an FDA approved generic drug. Brand may vary from order to order and variation to variation. We are unable to guarantee which brand will be available at the time of order shipment.
Is it important for my dog or cat to finish all of the Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12) Injection?
- Dogs and cats may use Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12) Injection for different lengths of time. Please consult your veterinarian if you have any questions.
1 ml vials are more environmentally friendly.From UndisclosedComments about Cyanocobalamin Injection, 1000 mcg/mL 1mL Vial
Q & A
What is the recommended amount of B12 injection for small dog of 14 lbs? Want to figure how many dosages per bottle. Thanks.?
Cyanocobalamin Injection 1000mcg/ml is available in 1ml,multiple-dose, sterile vials for administration. According to Plumb’s Veterinary Handbook, a common recommended dose for injectable cyanocobalamin for treating B12 deficiency is 25mcg/kg. A 14 pound dog is equivalent to approximately 6.4 kilogram (kg). A 6.4kg dog would then require 160mcg or 0.16 ml per dose. Since the vials are 1ml each, one vial would be about 6 doses. Dosage and frequency of administration may vary based on the individual pet and prescriber. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states that if a multi-dose vial has been opened or accessed (e.g., needle-punctured) the vial should be dated and discarded within 28 days unless the manufacturer specifies a different (shorter or longer) date for that opened vial. Please consult with your veterinarian for further questions about Cyanocobalamin injections and whether the product is appropriate for your pet.Verified Answer
My question is are these 1ML vials supposed to only be half full or is that a wrong? I get my 1ml vials of b12 from a local pharmacy for my cat and I've recently noticed that some of the bottles look only 1/2 full and some only half or less than half full. The reason I looked to begin with is the first RX I had received gave me maybe 3 - .25ML shots. The 2nd bottle I only got 2/.25 ml shots out of it as his dose is .25 ml. Does that sound right to you? I'm thinking I should be getting 4 .25 ml shots out of a 1 ML bottle.?
There should be 1 mL contained in each vial. The liquid in the vial may not fill the entire vial and may look partially full. It may difficult to extract 100% of the solution from the vial using the syringe. As such, you may not be able to obtain 4 full doses of 0.25 mL from each vial.Verified Answer
You are of course familiar with the cute little sizes in non english/american but I'm not. I use 1 ml little vials to inject b-12 because I'm not making enough to suit my body. Is the price for ten injections? of 1ml, and/or is that for the big bottle??
The products sold here are intended for non-human use only. The price listed is for one 1 mL vial of 1000 mcg/mL strength. The amount of injections contained in each vial is dependent upon the dosing requirements of the animal as determined by your veterinarian. Contact your veterinarian to determine the appropriate dose of this medication.Verified Answer
is this the same as b12 used for humans?
Cyanocobalamin is a man-made form of vitamin B12. This drug can be used in both humans and other animal species that have a specific indication for its use as recommended by their doctor or veterinarian. Please contact your pet's veterinarian for any other questions you may have about cyanocobalamin and if it would be appropriate for your pet.Verified Answer
Why is this so much more expensive than 100ml bottle of injectible B-12??
There are some slight differences between these products that could account for the difference in price. The cyanocobalamin Injection, 1000mcg/mL comes in smaller 1mL vials so it may cost more to package this medication. Also, the cyanocobalamin medication is approved for use in humans as well and has some slight differences in ingredients compared to the 100mL bottle of injectable B-12, which could affect cost. The 100mL bottle of injectable B-12 is for use in animals only and it is only in one bigger vial, so it may cost less to package. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.Verified Answer